The day of love is almost upon us and I have one more little Valentine craft to share. It all started with the mini metal mailbox I found at Superstore (and I've heard you can find them in the dollar bins at Target too!). The perfect addition to Chloe's playhouse, don't you think? But a mailbox should be filled with love letters. So I decided to make some fabric envelopes!
I dug around in my scrap fabric box and found four pieces that would work. My mailbox was wee (only 6" wide) so I decided to make the envelopes 4"x5". Here's the simple steps I followed:
1. Cut a piece of fabric 10.25" x 4". I used pinking shears to make the envelopes a bit more fun.
2. Make a fold 4" up from the bottom edge.
3. Fold down the top edge. Cut this flap into a v-shape. Iron all the edges.
4. Sew a buttonhole onto the middle of the flap and a button beneath it. My sewing machine made this part easy, but if you don't know how to sew buttons, you could instead sew a small square of velcro to keep the flap closed.
5. Starting on the right side, sew a stitch down the straight edges of the envelope and then along the flap.
6. Fill the envelopes with sweet words for your loved ones :)
Okay, so my sewing is a little wonky :) I'll put some chocolate with the love notes and maybe Chloe won't even notice.
Do you celebrate Valentine's Day? I'm hoping HandyMan will whip up some of his strawberry nutella crepes to make me feel warm and fuzzy.