Let's end Kitchen Month on a tasty note with a peek into the pages of our family recipe book. This recipe satisfies even the most finicky of eaters in our house i.e. Chloe. Rarely does she eat without a fuss or finish everything on her plate. This dish is the exception to that rule and she has been known to have triple helpings.
"Lolo" in the Filipino Tagalog language means Grandfather. This is a recipe that was concocted by Chloe's Lolo, my dad, way back when I was a kid. It is not gluten-free, calorie-reduced, whole-grain, or paleo diet-friendly. It contains an unusual blend of ingredients and, given Lolo's occasional forgetfulness, the quantities are a bit suspect... that's where the secret part comes in ;) But what it is, is a hearty delicious spaghetti sauce, just perfect for these chilly winter nights.
Lolo's Secret Spaghetti Sauce
2 lbs ground pork
2 tbsp vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic minced
1/2 yellow onion minced
680 ml Hunts Thick & Rich Pasta Sauce
680 ml Hunts Tomato Sauce
156 ml Unico Tomato Paste
1 tbsp Knorr Chicken Broth Mix
1 tsp sweet chili sauce
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp hoisin sauce
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1 pkg Barilla spaghetti or fettucine
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion until pale golden, about two minutes.
2. Add ground pork. Stir fry pork until 80% cooked.
3. Add remaining ingredients except for spaghetti. Stir well. Reduce heat to Low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
5. Serve heaping tablespoons of sauce over the spaghetti. Enjoy.