On any given night, I might be waking up at 2am to calm Chloe after she's had a nightmare or I'm kept awake by HandyMan's tossing and turning (he can't sleep either). And lately, Chloe has been sneaking into our room and I only realize she's there when I feel her feet in my back. Of course, by that time I'm too lazy and tired to move her back to her room so the three of us sleep squished in our Queen sized bed.
|A lovely assortment of bedding with a bohemian vibe|
- Create a sleep-promoting environment. Ensure your room is dark, quiet and well-ventilated.
- Associate your bed with sleep. If you find yourself tossing in bed for a 1/2 hour unable to sleep, leave the bed and do something else (e.g. have a snack, watch some TV, do yoga) until you start to feel sleepy.
- Don't think about sleeping. You know what happens when you tell yourself "I need to get to sleep. It's already 3am. Go to sleep!"... that's right, just the opposite. Think about something other than sleep, if you can.
- Move the lights, such as cellphones beside your bed with their glaring screens or alarm clocks with bright LED numbers. Your bedroom should be as dark as possible.
- The ideal temperature for sleeping is a cool 16-18 degrees Celsius (60-65 degrees Fahrenheit) which allows our bodies to lose heat, mostly through our heads and faces. Keep it warm under the duvet, around 30 degrees Celsius.
|Twin beds with an industrial edge|
|A gorgeous ottoman with brass details that would be perfect for a grand master suite|
To enter, leave a comment telling me either about your most memorable night's sleep, or tell me what you would spend the gift card on. Local GTA readers only please as I'll be hand-delivering the gift card to you ;) Contest closes March 5, 2014 at midnight.
UPDATE: And the winner of the $100 ELTE Gift Card is... Meg @ LovingAlbany! Congratulations Meg and thank you everyone for entering. I hope you all get a good night's sleep tonight ;)
Disclosure: I was provided a gift card by ELTE however the opinions about getting a good night's sleep and how it's not ideal to have a 4yr old in your bed are entirely my own :)