The Problem Wall
This is a wall in my living room that I rarely show. You know why? Because it bugs me. I have never known what to do with it. Do you have a problem wall in your house?
The TV really overpowers this space. It sits on an Ikea sideboard that I've had for a decade (and I am SO over the dark brown). The sideboard is filled to the brim with serving dishes and seasonal accessories and there is no room to put the DVD player so that sits on an old side table. And then there's the large blank wall. I could put art there but I wondered if it might be too distracting when you're watching TV?
But I've decided I can't take this mismash of cabinets, components, and clutter anymore. I need to find a simpler storage solution, one that makes best use of the space. I'd love to have something light and bright there too. We already have the painted hutch and dresser in the living room so a white or light wood piece would work well. I've searched the stores and there is nothing I can find that is wide enough and fits in my budget...so an Ikea hack might be in order. The Besta series is made for media storage so that seems like the likely candidate for a makeover. I've put together a little style board so you can see what I'm thinking:
2. The VARA door which is a matte white would be a good basic choice. I'd mix some glass doors or open storage too, so that you're able to use the remote for the TV components.
3. This decorative trim from O'Verlays would dress the doors up nicely.
4. Ohmigosh, these dropped hinge pulls would blow my budget but they would make such a statement.
5. Add these furniture feet to give the console some height and a bit of architectural detail.
6. A marble slab on top? Why not! It definitely won't be looking like an Ikea console with that addition.
That's just one idea though. I could go in totally opposite direction and do a console that is maybe more open and industrial looking. Have you seen any nice media consoles lately? Ideally, I'd like something at least 70" long.