Working from home, I sometimes forget to eat lunch. More times than I care to admit, I'll look up from my laptop and realize it's 1:30pm and I haven't eaten a thing. That leads to me standing in front of the fridge, eyeing whatever leftovers I can throw together for a quick meal or settling for an easy but hardly satisfying lunch of cheese and crackers and fruit.
Which is why this recipe for Bulgur & Quinoa Salad with Lemon Balsamic Vinaigrette is such a lifesaver. I can make it ahead and have it ready for those last-minute lunches. I enjoy it a side dish together with yesterday's rotisserie chicken or as a meal in itself. I can easily change it up day to day - feta cheese, nuts, or dried cranberries can be added on for variety.
1 box PC Blue Menu Bulgur & Quinoa Blend
1/2 cup tomato, seeded and diced
1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
1/4 sweet onion
1/2 red pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 cucumber, seeded and diced
8 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
salt to taste
For the vinaigrette:
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove minced
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Prepare bulgur and quinoa according to package instructions
2. Transfer cooked bulgur and quinoa to a large bowl and fluff with a fork
3. Add the peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, parsley, and chickpeas and toss to combine.
4. Add salt as needed
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil
6. Add the vinaigrette to the salad. Toss to coat.
7. Salad can be refrigerated. Serve at room temperature
I stumbled upon the PC Blue Menu Bulgur & Quinoa Blend at the grocery store and it's quickly become one of our food staples. Growing up in a Filipino household, I'd eat white rice almost every day. Now I substitute this bulgur and quinoa mix as a healthier alternative. Even Chloe likes it.
Have you tried any of the PC Blue Menu products? Do you have any favourites?