Gifts For All
I'll be speaking tonight at the One of a Kind Show Late Night Shopping event. The show is a great place to pick up handmade gifts and shopping is open till 11pm for one night. Say hi if you're there!
I'm not a big shopper (unless you count tile and paint!) but there are so many great items I've encountered lately at previews or just finding online, that I've put together my must have gifts for the season. Maybe there's something on this list for a person on your list?
1. HandyMan and I have stayed a few times in the Skaneateles area of the Finger Lakes region in New York. Its a beautiful area with long winding roads, wineries, and glistening lakes. American Beauty: Renovating and Decorating a Beloved Retreat by Thom Filicia ($32) is about Thom's journey in finding a fixer-upper in this town he used play in as a child, renovating that home, and infusing it with his modern classic style. A gorgeous book for the blogger on your list who dreams of their own lakeside retreat.
2. Why bring the host a boring bottle of wine when you can bring them a fun Grinch tree from Fresh Florals ($25)? Bruno did the flowers for my wedding and his work is nothing short of original and visually stunning. I love that the Grinch tree comes in its own pot so no need for the host to scramble to find a vase!
3. I saw this tool box ($16) at the West Elm Market preview and thought it would be the perfect gift for that girl or guy friend in your life. Its compact size makes it a great indoor tool box - just large enough to hold the few screwdrivers, hammer, and nails you inevitably need for small projects around the house.
4. In December, IKEA is launching a limited edition textile collection called FJÄLLTÅG. Featuring patchwork bedspreads, beautiful needlework, and pillows with 19th century prints, it has a real past meets present appeal. Have a sister in her first apartment or a child in college? This would look great in their temporary digs.
5. Who doesn't love the Hudson's Bay signature stripes? I actually received the Hudson's Bay Company Collection Timex Originals Watch Collaboration ($95) as I gift when I attended The Bay holiday preview. It makes an awesome gift for guy or girl - so much so that HandyMan and I argue over who gets to wear the watch ;)
6. Caitlin Wilson's textiles are a blogger favourite and its easy to see why. Graphic and modern with a hint of femininity, I would love to have this Caitlin Wilson Gold Fleur 16"x26" pillow ($80) on my bed.
7. I'm always on the lookout for a great book with an interesting storyline and whimsical illustrations. Oliver Jeffers' books always hit the mark. Stuck ($16) is a silly story that is fun enough for Chloe and for me (which means I won't mind reading it 172 times).
8. Is it just me or are younger brothers difficult to buy gifts for? My brother's a pretty hip dude but I think the RCAF Travel Bag ($45) would pass his scrutiny.
9. I found this maple syrup jug (it fits a full 540ml bottle!) ($38) by ceramicist Marianne Chenard at the One of a Kind Show. It kinda makes me want to have pancakes every day!
Those are just a few of the things on my wish list. But I'm always coming across things that catch my eye so I've put a them in my Amazon store. Note that I get a commission if you buy anything via my store, so feel free to browse and just click to Amazon.com in a new browser if you'd rather not do that :)
Have you started (or finished?!) your holiday shopping? I'm typically a last-minute gal but this year, I think I may be on the ball!