Every once in a while, I get to indulge my inner child. I've always been a fan of cloud shapes and remember doodling them in the edges of my notebooks. Fat and puffy, they always reminded me of summertime and lying in the grass looking up at the sky. I've wanted a cloud somewhere in our house for a while and finally figured out the place for it was a DIY Cloud Mat:
We've had foam mats down in the basement near Chloe's play kitchen. I really disliked the primary colours the mats came in so turned them over and have been using the grey side. But they were looking a bit tired so I decided to give them a whimsical and easy update:
- Arrange foam pieces together to the size you want.
- Freehand draw a cloud shape on to the mats. I copied the Apple cloud icon shape. Be careful that your shape doesn't fall strangely on a seam and create very small pieces on the edge of the mat.
- Cut out the shape.
- Using a foam roller and child labour (joking!), apply two coats of primer. Be sure to cover edges as well.
- Apply two coats of latex paint. Allow to dry very well between coats.
- Apply two coats of water-based varathane.
P.S. I realized the cloud was off-center just as I was publishing this post. Argh!