We've had foam mats down in the basement near Chloe's play kitchen. I really disliked the primary colours the mats came in so turned them over and have been using the grey side. But they were looking a bit tired so I decided to give them a whimsical and easy update:
- Arrange foam pieces together to the size you want.
- Freehand draw a cloud shape on to the mats. I copied the Apple cloud icon shape. Be careful that your shape doesn't fall strangely on a seam and create very small pieces on the edge of the mat.
- Cut out the shape.
- Using a foam roller and child labour (joking!), apply two coats of primer. Be sure to cover edges as well.
- Apply two coats of latex paint. Allow to dry very well between coats.
- Apply two coats of water-based varathane.
P.S. I realized the cloud was off-center just as I was publishing this post. Argh!